The chutney is made first – a reduction of rice vinegar, habaneros, onions, sugar, then blueberries added for a few minutes until many of them had popped. Meanwhile, the breasts are soaked in buttermilk for an hour while the herbs are prepped. Parsley and thyme from our garden, lavender, salt, pepper. I gave up halfway through processing fresh thyme (muy tedious) and grabbed some dried, but it was a bundle of garden thyme freshly dried so still pretty flavorful. The chicken is supposed to be coated in breadcrumbs, but I didn’t have any paleo-friendly breadcrumbs so I just skipped this step and went straight to coating in the herb mixture. Pan-fried in butter:
Then goat cheese crumbled on top and the chutney to the side:
This was food that had me thinking about thesaurus.com . . . there were over-the-top comments from everyone regarding this being “the best food I’ve ever had” and other reviews in that vein. The lavender was perfectly balanced by the parsley and thyme, the round tartness of the goat cheese balanced by the blueberry with a habanero counterpoint; a truly excellent recipe. I’m so grateful to have tried it and this will have to be a summer dish from here forward, when the herbs and berries are fresh. I’m also very excited to try this when our goats are in milk and we have our own fresh goat cheese!
If you find a copy of this book at a thrift store, for sure snag it just for this recipe!
No comments:
Post a Comment