Monday, July 2, 2012

Cornish Hens and the first of the Gratins

There were a couple of assistants in the kitchen again, thankfully, as I did some unanticipated chauffeuring this afternoon. Sophia made up the “Gratin Dauphinois Madame Cartet” from Patricia Wells’ Bistro Cooking , which featured the potatoes cooked in crème fraîche and Gruyère. Serious comfort food there. And yes, I did cheat and have a couple of spoonfuls. Just look at this cheesy goodness!

037


The Cornish hens were from Jacques Pepin's Kitchen: Cooking with Claudine [Hardcover] and required a new piece of kitchen equipment, which Nigel made for me: weighed bricks, cleaned and wrapped in foil.

022


The hens were opened, the Patriarch grabbed a cast iron skillet and pounded them to a uniform thickness, they were cooked briefly under cover, then cover removed and the hens cooked weighted by the bricks:

028


After they were done, the pans were deglazed and the hens got a sprinkle of dill and lemon before serving:

030


I liked the spices used, and the skin was delicious. I would like to try this again, though, as there were some areas of the hen that were overly dry while others were just right. This makes me think that we didn’t pound the hens quite enough. Sadly, the recipe doesn’t have a picture of this stage at all – just a picture of the author and his daughter buying flowers. Sigh. To his credit, this book was meant to be a companion piece to a PBS show of the same name, so I suppose the intent was for us to cook along with Jacques and Claudine!

At least it provides a change from my one previous method of cooking Cornish hens.  I’m tagging this with “Paleo Friendly” but of course this is just the hens, not the potato dish.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment