Monday, July 2, 2012

Review: Eat Your Books

We have used the subscription website “Eat Your Books” for about a year and a half now. I am thoroughly pleased with this service, and feel like we fully recoup the cost in usability. When you begin your subscription, you enter the title of each of your cookbooks, and place them on your “bookshelf”. Not all of one’s cookbooks are likely to be indexed; of my 162 cookbooks, 89 are indexed. It is the indexed books that benefit. An indexed book has had all of the non-pantry staple ingredients indexed and fully searchable. So in my 89 indexed books, for example, I have 24,279 recipes available for search. When you look at the pic I use as a blog surround (tiny portion of my actual cookbook bookshelf), the books with little green spot stickers on the spine are indexed. Yellow spots are books that look like they might be indexed soon.

When do we use this? Well, repeatedly actually. When something is fresh and needs to be used, when someone had used that ingredient we needed and we need to find a quick substitute, when we want something-mocha-and-peppermint-but-no-nuts. Before EYB we might look online, or aimlessly take books off the shelf and page through, but now we utilize many more of our books and find ourselves enjoying recipes from books we had not cooked from at all previously.

Obviously not necessary for those with enough self-discipline to have six cookbooks, but for hopeless cookbook addicts like myself, worth it for sure. If you’d like to see it in action, I’ve got an icon on my sidebar down to your right where you can look at my bookshelf. I don’t get anything for this – just a satisfied user.

No comments:

Post a Comment