Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Argentinean Picadillo

You’d think I’d be getting better about how long it takes a whole chicken to thaw in my refrigerator, wouldn’t you? Sigh. Another switch this week. So here for “Wild Card Wednesday” (on Monday) we are trying another dish from Cooking Know-How: Be a Better Cook with Hundreds of Easy Techniques, Step-by-Step Photos, and Ideas for Over 500 Great Meals . This is such a fun book. There is a recipe with careful, involved instructions, then a table or chart with many variations to try off that recipe. So, for example, this picadillo recipe had eight flavor variations, such as Vietnamese, Hawaiian, Cuban, etc. I chose Argentinean because we had several ingredients already, and the only time I’d tried Argentinean food it was tasty.

088

The comment of the Patriarch was “It’s like a upscale burrito”. I’m not sure about the “upscale” part . . . it’s just different. I really love the idea of working through these Picadillo recipes and having a whole slew of flavor profiles for ground meat. This would make a superb lunch staple, particularly for my working children who head out early in the morning! The addition of hard-boiled eggs amps up the protein, and the raisins and green olives add nutrients as well. Finished on a wrap:



092




No comments:

Post a Comment