Monday, July 9, 2012

Pesto alla Santa Margherita on an odd pasta

First off, we made the aforementioned pesto, from (once again) Patricia Wells' Trattoria . This was a fun, fresh, summery pesto but warning: all that fresh garlic packed a wild bite!
013
The garlic was made a paste, then the basil, then peeled/cored/seeded tomatoes and olive oil were alternated and all made into pesto:
023
I had some commercial rice pasta around (thankfully, as it turned out), but Sophia and I try to avoid rice. So I googled about for a grain free pasta recipe and found this one from the Real Sustenance Blog. And it only used one egg – score! Gareth had tripped this morning while gathering the eggs and one egg is exactly what I had. Made like one traditionally makes pasta, but with the “other” egg(s) being subbed by flax meal and applesauce.

Dough looked like this:
011
And was rolled thin and hand cut (I have a hand pasta machine but author recommended against it for this):
020
So far so good going into the pan:
030
But during cooking, they all fell apart:
031    
And were pretty heavy altogether:
032
Brittany, the recipe author, obtained a light pasta-y looking creation with the same ingredient list, so I’m not sure what happened here! Mine was really unappetizing.

The sauce was good on the rice pasta though, so my family didn’t starve.

034

We had fruit sorbets (made here) for dessert – well, they did, as I don’t do any form of sugar including fruit (and the one-bite-of-cupcake thing) - which went well with the Italian nature of our Mondays. Lemon sorbet from the streets of Italy is one of my clearest food memories of my visits there. So delicious. We don’t do lemon sorbet here, as I wouldn’t know how to make it not a disappointment, but berry sorbet and chocolate/banana/fruit concoctions are fun.

One of these Mondays I’ll have to get brave and actually venture into Marcella’s cookbooks!



No comments:

Post a Comment