Some notes here about duck eggs: I hadn’t thought this through, and when I went to the stove I switched to chicken eggs, which we happened to have in the house, fortunately. Usually we don’t, but the Patriarch sometimes uses our duck eggs for bartering-for-fish purposes, highly approved in this kitchen :-). Duck eggs are fresh and flavorful and useful for almost everything, but we’ve noticed that in a boiling situation they’re just strange. Size comparison to chicken eggs (the store chicken eggs are size “large” and are the brown ones):
We have Welsh Harlequin ducks, four of them, who provide us with over 2 dozen eggs a week. This breed theoretically doesn’t lay colored eggs, but as you can see, we sometimes get a green or blue-ish one, which is fun.
The shallots/wine/cream/tarragon/mustard is cooked over low heat for about ten minutes, the eggs are poached, the sauce is spooned over the top, fresh minced parsley sprinkled over all, and dinner is served. Not enough for my menfolk at ALL so they grabbed sandwiches, but surprisingly filling for the rest of us (doesn’t look like enough at all, does it?)
I think this would make a lovely luncheon dish, and this is what the cookbook author Mireille Johnston recommended. I’d like to try other flavorways she has with eggs, so you might see the general dish again.
No comments:
Post a Comment