Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Gluten Free Gnocchi with Truffled Pesto Sauce

I’d been wanting to try gnocchi for some time, but after my last disastrous attempt at a gluten free pasta inspired by a blog post, I was a wee reluctant. “One more try” I told myself. Thankfully this one was successful! This blogger had a post in which she made the truffle sauce with truffle oil, and used another blogger’s gnocchi recipe. Side note: does it irritate anyone else when the recipe says, “gluten free all-purpose flour” and doesn’t specify? Not every dish will work with whatever flour blend. And I’m going to continue that trend because I had a daughter make up a gluten free all purpose blend for MY gnocchi and not only do I not know what she used, I can’t even remember which daughter it was!

I have read that truffle oil doesn’t actually contain any truffle. It is a chemical concoction made to taste like truffles. So I opted instead to buy this truffle salt: Fusion Black Truffle Sea Salt from Amazon. Wow. That was amazing. I’m sprinkling it on everything since we made this dish, as the truffles will lose flavor potency after awhile, but gosh it elevates the mundane. Because Clara is allergic to pine nuts, we subbed cashews.

The gnocchi recipe called for fingerling potatoes, which weren’t in our markets yet, but Costco did have a bag of multicolored small potatoes. These get boiled briefly, then peeled and mashed:

018

After this, the eggs, GF flour, and parmesan are incorporated to make a dough. I found the hard way that it is imperative to have every little lump mashed.

019
021

When the dough is ready, long ropes are rolled

023

I love how the purple potatoes make these look like blueberry pasta!

The ropes are cut into small pillows, which are supposed to be indented with a fork, but I didn’t realize that, so mine are un-dented. They are then boiled briefly, plated, and sauced.

025


It was divine. Sophia actually cried. What I would like to do is get really fast at this. It was another 10 pm dinner, and I had Gareth and Clara helping me peel the tiny potatoes while Sophia made the fresh pesto. We all agreed it was worth every moment, and it seems simple enough with practice. Such good food!


No comments:

Post a Comment