Tonight we had “Penne with Vodka and Spicy Tomato-Cream Sauce” and “White Bean Salad with Fresh Sage and Thyme”. I chose the latter because my husband does love a bean dish, and you should just see my herb bed this summer! The sage, thyme, and oregano are just crazy-big, and I have nice parsley, chives, and rosemary as well.
The white beans simmered in a pot for an hour with herbs and veg:
It was tasty, but my beans were not the freshest and despite giving them an extra 45 minutes, they could’ve been more cooked yet. Still, most of the pan was eaten with pleasure:
The penne was just fabulous. Really over-the-top good. Complicated and deep, unexpectedly spiced. Patricia Wells says this dish is her husband’s favorite, and there is no mystery involved in this preference! My own husband is not fond of pasta at all, but was a sport about it and thought it was “fine” after the addition of hot sauce :-). We used gluten-free pasta so that Sophia and I were able to eat it as a minor cheat. I used Lundberg Organic Brown Rice Pasta Penne -- 12 oz
I am very excited about trying other dishes from this wonderful cookbook! It is older, but unless you want to be on the forefront of what is going on in food-dom (in which case you want to buy Modernist Cuisine: The Art and Science of Cooking
No comments:
Post a Comment