Saturday, March 11, 2017

Revising a Pinterest Dish: Taco Ranch Chicken Chili

I’m not even going to try to explain away the absence here. We have five entirely new huge diagnoses in our family, four which have dietary restrictions and recommendations (which often directly contradict each other). We’ve just been trying to keep afloat food-wise and figure out how to fix something for each meal that doesn’t actively harm anyone. We have very few dishes that everyone can eat – and this isn’t one of them. But most in our family could eat it, including our multiple-food-allergy three, so it will be a keeper. And it brought me out of blog silence since I did enough tweaking to want to have it written down somewhere! Also, in my years of silence, I’ve seen the disappearance of blogs such as this one where photography wasn’t central. I snap pics with my phone and don’t style them, sorry – but nobody ever visited this blog for inspiring food photography!

I started with the recipe found here, on the blog “The Novice Chef”. Hers is aimed at different goals than in our kitchen, but the thought of taco and ranch flavors being translated for our allergens and issues was intriguing. First off, the allergic three are not good for beans. Jessica, the “novice chef”, recommended a particular brand of beans as these come pre-seasoned. In general, we use sweet potatoes rather than white potatoes, but my inner tastebuds could “see” this being served over home fries in place of the original white beans. I also can’t do seasoning packs, and even in the old days, we mixed up our own blends for thrift, freshness, and lack of additives. So I used our standard ranch seasoning herbs/spices and combined them with our standard taco seasoning herbs/spices.

Low Allergen Taco Ranch Chili

In the crockpot, for 4 hours at high heat, cook the following:

3-4 lb chicken breasts
2 cans diced tomatoes
1/4 cup dried parsley
2 Tbsp cumin
2 Tbsp chili powder
1 1/2 Tbsp garlic powder
1 1/2 Tbsp onion powder
1 Tbsp salt (it will dissolve, so I used coarse Celtic sea salt)
4 tsp black pepper
3 tsp dill
3 tsp paprika (I used smoked, but any sort will do)
3 tsp dried chives
1 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes

When this is done, use forks to shred the chicken, which will shred quite easily:


As mentioned above, I served this over home fries. Using organic potatoes so I could include the peels, I sprinkled the potatoes with garlic powder, cumin, and onion powder as that’s what the “Bush White Beans” website said were included in their beans. No measurements, I literally just dusted the potatoes after they were in the pan:


We served this with a generous dollop of sour cream for those who can tolerate dairy, but for the allergic three, So Delicious coconut yogurt worked really well. We did notice that without the sour cream/yogurt, the ranch flavor did not come out at all; that fat was necessary.




This would alternatively work well in a wrap of any sort, from a romaine leaf to a tortilla. Bland photography, but tasty results :).

No comments:

Post a Comment