Saturday, May 4, 2013

They Disappeared too Quickly for Photos

I’m not much of a food blogger. I don’t create recipes, and I never use Photoshop or the like. I don’t have reflective screens, macro lenses, a tripod, or special blogging dishes. I just wanted to start leaving a record that we could use. I deeply appreciate the inspiration that is out there, though, particularly in the world of special diets. I have way too many allergy-food blogs, Paleo blogs, and gluten-free blogs bookmarked to count. I love to find people who are cooking through a cookbook, particularly if it’s one I own.

These mental wanderings brought to you by the fact that I didn’t even get a blurry quick picture of the lovely stack of “Korean Green Onion Pancakes” that Sophia made last night. Think it would have been hard to get an appetizing picture, anyway, as they just looked like thick pancakes . . . you’ve seen that. In fact, when Sophia served them up there was a distinct lack of enthusiasm in the air. Until we bit into them. Oh my YUM.

From a book we had home from the library (which has promptly gone on my to-buy list) called The Gluten-Free Asian Kitchen: Recipes for Noodles, Dumplings, Sauces, and More . This uses white rice flour, so is not Paleo, although I think experimenting with coconut/almond flours might work here. Peppers, green onions, Korean chili powder, and red bell peppers are included, but the soy vinegar dipping sauce (Sophia actually used coconut “soy” aminos) is what takes this dish over the top. Because of Clara’s allergy to sesame, including the oil, that was not included in the sauce, but I’ll bet it would be better yet with sesame oil added.

For years, we have used a homemade rating system which runs from one to seven, seven being, “Don’t bother making me anything else for the rest of my life, I’ll just eat this from now on”. Everyone liked it, and maybe I was just hungry, but I was all 6.75 over this dish :-). Thank you, library, for the chance to trial this book!




 

No comments:

Post a Comment